D&D over 40

Never in a bazillion years did I ever think I'd play D&D. Or any TTRPG. And it's possible I only like it because I'm smitten with one of the nerdiest humans I've ever met, but whatever, I don't think that's what it's _all_ about. It's so creative and reinforcing some of the things I identified in therapy that I need to work on and I can just imagine sitting around into my 90s with a group of solid individuals I call friends and playing these games. It gets more fun the more I play!

I don't recommend waiting till you're 46 to start playing if you have _any_ interest. The thing that struck me early on is that I've spent my whole life trying not to look stupid which is ultimately self-censorship. I think women probably do it more than men and I can't even imagine how much it happens for people with other othernesses. But people who started playing D&D before or right when they hit puberty have this sense of freedom and curiosity in the game that is pretty fucking great and enviable. The role-playing part is hard because I did a lot of negative self-talk when I was young - taking a background role in sports and theater at the slightest obstacles. 

At first I was afraid to say anything because I'd ask myself, "To what end?" and have really no idea ... because no experience. But then I learned that's kinda part of the game :) You don't know. That's why you role play, interact with other characters and try out your character's skills. There's still so much to learn and comprehend that I don't take full advantage of my characters yet (I have THREE!). 

If you want to start playing D&D and don't know anyone who has a game you could join, I recommend finding an Adventurers League, it's like a drop-in game. And in pre-covid times you could walk into a place like RPG Lawrence or Pawn & Pint in KC on a game night, pick-up a pre-made character sheet and play (or create your own character to bring in). You don't have to know anything, but it helps to know something :) helps to know a cute nerd too :) 

If you want to play around with building a character, check out dndbeyond.com (it's awesome!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

another installment of the TO-DO list-apalooza

to do list